You know summer is here when you start putting zucchini in all the things. Zucchini oatmeal, or Zoats 🙂 , is an awesome way to get veggies in at breakfast (another yummy, kid-approved option is my Cocoberry Pancakes).
These creamy oats are cooked in almond milk and flavored like traditional zucchini bread, only there’s no refined sweeteners or other unhealthy ingredients. This hearty oatmeal will keep you full till lunch. I shared this recipe on our farm website earlier this spring and it was a hit!
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
Credit: Mama Makes Food
- 2 c. almond milk (or preferred milk), plus more for desired consistency
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1 tbs. chia seeds
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 c. shredded zucchini (about 1 small)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 c. walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbs. pure maple syrup, optional (if your banana is really ripe you might not need this)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract) Toppings Ideas: raisins, more freshly grated nutmeg & chopped walnuts, bee pollen, hemp seeds, blueberries, pepitas, sunflower seeds, a spoonful of nut butter, etc.
- Warm almond milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oats, chia seeds, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Let the oats cook for a couple minutes, then add zucchini, mashed banana, and walnuts. Cook and stir occasionally, for about 5-6 minutes, or until the oats are soft and creamy.
- Add another splash of milk to thin if desired and warm through. Taste for sweetness and add maple syrup if you like. Stir in vanilla.
- Portion into bowls and pile on the toppings. Serve warm.