We eat pizza often – usually once a week. I love making tortilla pizzas because they’re easy, quick to prepare, and small enough so that each person can have their own just the way they like it. Tortilla pizzas are super thin too, which makes them an ideal first pizza for older babies and toddlers. I just started offering my 16 month old son whole slices to take bites out of himself. He has been eating these for a few months now though – I just used the pizza cutter to cut up the pizza into bite-sized pieces and he always gobbled them up.
Have you read the ingredient list on store bought pizza sauce? Yuck! I like to make my own sauce, but simple and no fuss is key. I feel like I’m already in the kitchen A LOT, so these kinds of things have to be easy. This sauce is quick and super easy using pantry ingredients. It’s also no-cook. Everything gets thrown in the blender and then it’s pizza making time!
Whenever I find a recipe I want to make on a blog, I almost always find myself scrolling down to the bottom to get right to the recipe. I hardly ever take the time to read all the musings that the blogger took the time to write because – let’s face it – life is busy and I don’t have time for all that. 😉
So, I’m going to make it a point on my blog to be concise. Without further ado, here’s the recipe:
Tortilla Pizza with Homemade Sauce
A super simple, highly adaptable thin crust pizza with a flavorful sauce that's great for toddlers, older kids, and adults alike! If there's any sauce leftover, freeze it to make your next pizza party even easier!
Credit: Mama Makes Food
- For the pizza:
- 3 8″ flour or gluten free tortillas
- toppings of choice (we go for sautéed veggies and mozzarella cheese, but the possibilities are endless!) For the sauce:
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (I prefer Muir Glen Organic)
- heaping 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbs. honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Italian or Herbes de Provence seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all sauce ingredients to blender and blend from low to high speed until smooth. The sauce should be thick so it spreads on your pizzas well. Add more tomato paste if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of sauce over a tortilla, leaving some room around the edges for the “crust”.
- Add toppings. You’ll want a total of about half a cup of veggies and/or meat per tortilla. After that, add the cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and tortilla is crispy around the edges.